Four PCYC Ipswich Taekwondo students competed on 25 October at the 2014 Commonwealth Players Tournament (held at PCYC Carindale). All proceeds from this tournament went to the Queensland entrants heading to the 6th Commonwealth Taekwondo Championships in Scotland! In fact, not too far from Ipswich there are three Somerset brothers, Stephen, John and Michael Kakakios training to go to Scotland for this competition!
2014 Commonwealth Players Tournament Results:
- Ryder, 7 years old, yellow belt II, won both of his fights – gold in his weight division and also won gold against someone in the weight division above him!
- Abigail, 8 years old, blue belt III, won gold for her fight and was awarded silver in poomse (a Taekwondo pattern).
- Linsey, 10 years old, yellow belt II, wasn’t able to finish her fight due to being injured (but was fine later in the day).
- Tamzin, 13 years old, preliminary black belt (Cho Dan Bo), lost by one point to take silver (Tamzin fought a heavier black belt first Dan and she was also kicked in her leg during this fight, but fought on and fortunately only had some bruising afterwards).
- Senior student, Liz McGlew, yellow belt I, missed out on competing as there were no other fighters in her division.
Parents and students thanked their coach, Mr Kevin Donaldson, for helping the students get ready for the competition and Grand Master Michael Tan from fellow Club, Tans Taekwondo for guiding the students on the day. Taekwondo Ipswich senior students, Scott Malone and Liz McGlew also attended and encouraged the students.
Liz said “it was great to watch the kids support each other. They have a good time and get a chance to use the moves they practice over and over again during training. You can see it in them when they get it right – they are proud of themselves.”
This was the last competition before the Sports Taekwondo Australia Nationals Competition, being held in Adelaide in December. Tans Taekwondo Ipswich has five students who are eligible to compete in Adelaide and the Club has been busy fundraising to support these families to go. Travel and accommodation costs add up, particularly as the students are not old enough to travel alone.
A number of local businesses support our Club, with East Coast Rubber recently donating $500 and Ipswich Subway regularly donating Subs for lunch on Club grading days. If any Ipswich businesses would like to support these students, they can contact Kevin Donaldson on 0429 609 180 or PCYC Ipswich on 3281 2547.
Three of the five Adelaide-bound students are current National Champions – Tamzin, Ryan and Ashley.
Ashley didn’t compete on the weekend, as she is just getting back into training after a recent leg injury. Her father, Ewan Holden said that “Ash is trying hard to be ready to go and we will make the call closer to the big competition.”
You can keep up with the team and their competition results at the Taekwondo Ipswich Club’s Facebook page.